Public Consultation on the Registered Disability Savings Plan
November 16th, 2011 - 7:49pm
The federal government has launched a public consultation process on the long term savings program which allows persons with disabilities to put money aside for later and receive grants and bonds from the government.
I encourage constituents to take this opporunity to share their comments, suggestions, and concerns on the Registered Disability Savings Plan.
I share the concerns that many Canadians have with this plan. Constituents have called and emailed to talk to me about:
- the lack of available information on the plan;
- the lack of flexibility with regards to who can manage the beneficiary’s plan;
- the eligibility issues faced by persons with episodic disabilities;
- the need to wait 10 years before accessing the funds;
- the lack of flexibility with regards to emergency withdrawals.
Speak up and help me help your voices be heard in Ottawa by sending your comments by email to RDSP-REEI@fin.gc.ca.
You can also send your comments to the Department of Finance:
Tax Policy Branch
Department of Finance
16th Floor, East Tower
140 O’Connor Street
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0G5
The deadline is December 16th, 2011. For more information, visit the Finance Department’s website at http://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/rdsp-reei-eng.asp