Nominations for Persons Case Awards 2015
June 11th, 2015 - 1:39pm
OTTAWA, June 11, 2015 /CNW/ - Status of Women Canada is calling for nominations for the 36th Annual Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case. Each year, these awards recognize five individuals, including two youth, who have made outstanding contributions in the pursuit of equality for women and girls in Canada.
Canadians are encouraged to nominate candidates from all across Canada and from all walks of life. Past candidates have included academics, corporate leaders, volunteers, advocates and artists. While nominations are accepted all year, the deadline for nominating someone for the 2015 awards is June 26. To get inspired, visit http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/commemoration/gg/about-ausujet-en.html, which includes a list of past recipients, videos, and everything you need to nominate someone.
- The Government of Canada instituted the Governor General's Awards in Commemoration of the Persons Case in 1979, with the support of then-Governor General the Right Honourable Edward Schreyer.
- The Awards were created to mark the 50th anniversary of the Persons Case and to honour the five Alberta women whose determination led to a landmark victory in the struggle of Canadian women for equality.
- By securing the right of women to serve in the Senate, the Famous Five helped pave the way for women to participate in all other aspects of public life.
- Persons Case Awards recipients continue the tradition of courage, integrity and hard work that the Famous Five inspired.
- The nomination process is simple. Instructions and a nomination form can be found on the Status of Women Canada web site.
- To be eligible for nomination, candidates must be Canadian citizens. Candidates for the youth category must be between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Nominations for the 2015 awards must be received on or before June 26, 2015.
- The recipients of the Persons Case Awards will be announced in the fall of 2015.