Open, accessible, compassionate and honest, Irene's focus as the Member of Parliament has been on putting her constituents and community first:
- introduced Bill C-282 and the Opposition Motion in Parliament to remove the federal tax from feminine hygiene products. Effective July 1st, 2015 thanks to Irene's efforts, women will no longer pay tax on feminine hygiene products!
- has assisted 10,000+ constituents with Employment Insurance, Canada Revenue problems, immigration issues, and accessing pension, veterans, and disability benefits .
- after funds were stolen from the branch, Irene fought for the Duchess of Kent Legion and successfully obtained tax relief to keep the branch open and serving our veterans.
- brought together east end small business owners and helped establish an Argyle Business Improvement Association to strengthen small business and create new job opportunities.
- hosts annual Community Volunteer Income Tax Program services at the London office, helping lower and fixed income residents get their taxes filed on time.
- has worked with the faith community to help fight poverty in London.
- created a citizen led committee and worked with City Hall to ensure the Veterans Flag Display was built on Veterans Memorial Parkway, a lasting tribute to our veterans.
- hosted workshops for seniors & people with disabilities to help them access disability tax credit benefits.
- supported ReForest London, Clean & Green London, friends of Meadowlily Woods, and Upper Thames River Conservation Authority initiatives to protect and rehabilitate the local environment.
- helped community organizations access Enabling Accessibility Funding to allow people with disabilities to participate more fully in the community
- sponsored the "Create Your Canada" contest to encourage youth to learn about and participate in the government process.
Working across party lines and with all three levels of government, Irene helped deliver more than $81 million in federal funding to London-Fanshawe. And more than $160 million in federal fundsto the City of London! Funding highlights include:
- More than $17 million in London-Fanshawe infrastructure (roads, sewers, etc)
- More than $2 million in recreational infrastructure funds for repairs and upgrades to arenas, parks, trails, and sports fields.
- $300,000 in funding for 8 New Horizons for Seniors initiatives to support area seniors.
- $900,000 in Industrial Research Assistance funding supporting businesses in the Veterans Memorial Parkway industrial park, to help keep jobs in London.
- $1.8 million in student job funding to help youth get work experience.
- Over $950,000 for environmental protection (ReForest London; UTRCA)