Again this year my office will be a host site for the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program coordinated by the Canada Revenue Agency. 

The tax clinics will open on March 7th, and will be available THURSDAYS ONLY from 10am-3pm. 

Important Changes:
Because of changes to the Canada Revenue Agency’s Community Volunteer Income Tax Program, there are a few important changes to note about this year’s free income tax service.

Income Cut Offs:
•     Single individuals are eligible if they earn $30,000 or less in
2012. An additional $5000 in income can be added to the cut
off for the first dependant. An additional $2500 in income can be added to the cut off for each
additional dependant.
•     Married or Common Law couples are eligible if the combined earnings were $40,000 or less in 2012.  Married or Common Law couples returns must be completed at the same time, all information for both partners must be available.
An additional $5000 in income can be added to the cut off for the first dependant. An additional $2500 in income can be added to the cut off for each additional dependant.

Other Restrictions:
•     Volunteers cannot complete returns for deceased individuals.
•     Volunteers can only complete simple returns.
•     Volunteers cannot complete returns for those employed in short or long haul trucking, cab drivers, or self employed in- dividuals as such returns are considered “complex” by Canada Revenue due to deductions.





Filing a 2012 income tax and benefit return

There are different ways to file your tax return with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA): online; on paper; and with assistance.

Filing online

Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready and follow these three easy steps:

  • Get ready: gather receipts, T4s and other slips, and a copy of last year's return to use as a model.

  • Get certified tax software and enter your information: see the list of software options at www.netfile.gc.ca/software. These are software packages from private companies, some of which are free of charge. Follow the directions to install the software, then enter your tax information as you are prompted for it.

  • File your return online with the CRA: When you have finished entering your tax information into the software, the program should direct you to the CRA's NETFILE service. The process is similar to writing an email, then sending it. If your software program does not redirect you, go to www.netfile.gc.ca and follow the instructions for securely filing your return online. NETFILE uses the same high levels of online security that Canadian financial institutions use. Generally, you will only need to identify yourself with your social insurance number and date of birth. If you have technical difficulties while filing, contact the CRA's E-Services Helpdesk at 1-800-714-7257.

Filing on paper

  • You can print the 2012 income tax package from the CRA's Web site. Go to www.cra.gc.ca and search "2012 tax return".
  • From February to May, tax packages will be restocked continuously at Canada Post outlets and Service Canada offices. If your local office is temporarily out of stock, please check back again soon. If you need a copy immediately of the T1 General income tax and benefit package for 2012, you can download and print one from our Web site, order one online, or call 1-800-959-8281. If you would like several copies, we suggest you place your order directly with the CRA, either online or by phone.
  • If you don't have access to the Internet, or you don't live close to a Canada Post outlet or Service Canada office, you can call the CRA to order an income tax package at 1‑800‑959‑8281.

Filing with assistance

If you need help filing your income tax return, there are plenty of options available.

  • The CRA's Web site has many resources to guide you through filing season. Go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready for everything you need, including easy to understand videos and step-by-step instructions.

  • Taxpayers with modest incomes can also go to a tax clinic where a volunteer will help them complete their returns. This program is called the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP). For more information about the program, go to www.cra.gc.ca/volunteer.

  • If you have questions about how to complete your return, you can watch our tax information video Preparing Your Income Tax and Benefit Return at www.cra.gc.ca/videogallery.

  • You can also call the CRA at 1‑800‑959‑8281 if you have questions about how to file your tax return.

Pay the amount owing to the CRA

Pay the amount owing electronically:You can pay the CRA any amount owing by using your financial institution's Internet or telephone banking services or by using the CRA's My Payment service (through participating financial institutions). Go to www.cra.gc.ca/payments for more details.

Pay the amount owing through your financial institution: You can take your remittance voucher directly to a financial institution.

Pay the amount owing by cheque: If you need to pay by cheque, make it payable to the Receiver General for Canada and include the appropriate remittance voucher containing your social insurance number and tax year. Send your cheque and remittance voucher to the Canada Revenue Agency, 875 Heron Road, Ottawa ON K1A 1B1. If you do not have a remittance voucher, make sure to print your SIN and tax year on the front of your payment.